You probably know the standard questions you may ask in a spelling bee - i.e. definition, language of origin, part of speech, alternate pronunciations, and you can ask to hear it used in a sentence. Here are my top 10 questions NOT to ask at the Scripps National Spelling Bee (starred items were actually asked at previous Scripts spelling bees on National TV!)...
10. Can I buy a vowel? *
9 Can you use it in a song?
8. Can you use it in a stir fry?
7. Do chickens have big talons? *
6. Can I use my phone a friend?
5. I'd like to ask the audience.
4. Do I have any lifelines left?
3. Is there anything I haven't asked you yet? *
2. Can I have the spelling please? *
1. Can I have an easier word? *
items with a * are actual questions asked at the Scripps National Spelling Bees